Sunday, January 6, 2013

More Than Just Teammates

Though today wasn't the first wrestling match I've ever attended, it was certainly the largest. For the first time in my life, I actually understood what was going on. Needless to say, I was impressed by the performances I witnessed. But I was more impressed with the wrestlers, and the familial relationships that every team seemed to possess. In the contemporary age of sports, so many athletes seem to have forgotten the meaning of the word "team," and are overcome with a all-consuming desire to win. It's quite clear that for F&M, such is not the case. Despite several coinciding matches, not one F&M wrestler competed without support from one of the coaches, and a handful of teammates and parents. Whether it was competing for first place, or eighth place in the consolation bracket, each and every member of the F&M team was reinforced by his counterparts, and that's something that to me, is a remarkable achievement. Despite its Division I status and competitiveness, this team's level-headedness exemplifies the perfect balance, and is a paragon for Division I athletics.

Here is a link to the article recap from today's tournament: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/800027_2-Diplomats-reach-final-in-F-M-Open.html

A more detailed article with additional quotations will be released shortly...Stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment