Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Clarion Open Recap (Part 1)




First let me apologize for the slight delay in this post.  There were a few things I needed to work through before I could write something that was not influenced by emotions from the tournament.  Even with that intention, I cannot promise that revisiting the weekend’s events won’t get me worked up again but here we go…


I am going to keep it simple here with my thoughts on our wrestling this weekend.  All of our guys wrestled hard and represented F&M with honor.  There were some guys who might not have had the tournament they had hoped they would, but in the long run everyone will definitely benefit from the experience.  Like the old cliche states, you learn more from a loss than you do from a victory.  That being said there was one issue/theme that we absolutely have to work on if we plan to improve throughout the season-our attitude while we are on the mat (aaaaand the lightbulb just went on!)


Our attitudes on the mat or our...Wait for it....waiiiiit ....here it comes..... "MATT"itudes, (Oh yes, I said it!) is the way in which we carry ourselves pre, during, and post match.  I believe that the technical part of the sport is much easier to improve upon when the mental part has been put firmly in place.  What I mean by that is that in order for our wrestlers to achieve success they must first believe it themselves.  I spent a good part of yesterday (Monday) working on this with the team and I think this past weekend will serve as a great reference point during the process.  As with any competition there were some minor technical mistakes that I am not too worried about and we will focus on them during our morning drill sessions leading up to the Navy Classic.  If anyone wants specific details on the guys feel free to email me and I will f/u with whatever you need.  The actual weight by weight recaps were posted earlier on here and are also on www.GoDiplomats.com .  I believe Coach Schuyler sent out a recap as well, and if you want to be added to our email list please shoot me a note at matt.greenberg@fandm.edu


Off to practice I go...




12 days until the Navy Classic

1 comment:

  1. So far we haven't used:
    autoMATTic
    diploMATT
    MATTch
    aroMATTic
    or
    MATTure

    Once you do, for the good of humanity, I think we should kill the blog.

    ReplyDelete