Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bucha & Rogers Talk Wrasslin' & Other Thoughts From Yours Truly

Steve Peed has given us another great interview with senior captain Jake Bucha and coach Mike Rogers.  You can get the newest chat here and make sure to check back with "Matt"Burn often for all the latest Diplomat Wrestling news.

We are almost done with our second week of official practice and things have been progressing at a good pace.  As a coach you tend to always see the things that need to be improved on, but when I force myself to step back and look at the program from a macro view it is clear things have really started to change.  The overall intensity in the room is getting higher every day and the guys have been showing signs of a game plan and premeditated attacks.  We have been really focusing on set-ups and hand fighting and I think the wrestlers are starting to see why they are a necessary piece of the takedown puzzle.  The second area we have been working on is our mat wrestling.  Getting the guys to believe they can ride anybody and that they MUST get out from bottom.  Mat wrestling is not the most fun thing to practice (until we get good at it) but it is also the great equalizer in competition.  When I was wrestling at Cornell I was a decent wrestler my first two years but was mostly a take'm down let'm up kind of guy.  I was able to do well but never could get over the hump at NCAA's or against the best in the country.  My junior year I committed to working on top and becoming mean and dominant in the top position and it opened up my entire style.  Going into matches knowing you can and will ride your opponents not only gives you confidence but to quote the immortal Rob Koll "You go into each match knowing you are up 2-0 (riding time + escape point)."  This has a ripple effect on your entire wrestling style allowing you to take more risks on your feet and giving you the confidence to believe you have more than takedowns to score points.  My last two years I developed a simple yet effective ride and turn that transformed me from a one-dimensional neutral wrestler to multi-dimensional scoring threat from all three positions.  I was able to go into my matches more relaxed and most importantly convert my takedowns into backpoints and riding time.  Mat wrestling also has a major effect on your opponents and their strategy stepping onto the mat.  Anyone who has wrestled knows the stress of being in match against a good mat wrestler.  You cannot help but over compensate for his ability to ride and/or turn you which will also cause you to hesitate on your shots in fear of him scoring off of your attempt and putting himself into a position to ride you out and wear you down.  Nobody feels good going into a match against a strong mat wrestler and a strong mat wrestler is always one or two moves away from scoring major points and ultimately a fall. 

On the recruiting scene we have put together a strong pool of ED candidates that would all be impact members of our team.  We are bringing them in for visits and interviews with their deans and hopefully we will have good news over the next few months.  Coach Rogers and myself have been working hard to reach out locally to coaches, fans, alums, and anyone who will listen to spread the word about F&M Wrestling and our commitment to improving this program. 

As always I ask you all to call, write, fax, yell, or show up in our office to discuss any ideas, feedback, or critiques of the program and how we can make things even better.

Until next time...

MG

No comments:

Post a Comment